Friday, October 07, 2011

5 Minute Fillers...Revisited

Let's face it - we live in a crazy, busy world. Unless you're on vacation, most of us have way too much to get done in the time we have. Often, when it comes to organizing or just getting things done, we give up before we even start because the overall "project" just seems too big to tackle. The key to success here is breaking things down into much smaller tasks. Most of us don't routinely have large blocks of time to get large projects done at once. Does that mean we can't get anything done? No! It just means we need to know what short tasks we can tackle in the short windows of time we do have.

In January, I wrote about the idea of creating a 5 Minute Fillers list - tasks that take just a few minutes to complete. I challenged myself and all of you to look around your house or your office to create such a list so you know what you can do the next time 5 free minutes present themselves.

I recently realized that this concept is more important than ever for me now as a mom of a 4 month old. My new job taking care of her is 24-7 and I only get sporadic, unpredictable free blocks of time...usually very short. And to make matters worse, my brain is so fried from sleep deprivation that I could look around my condo full of things to do and not be able to think of a single completable task. That's why I need to make a renewed commitment to keeping a 5 minute fillers list. So here goes - here's my new list:
  • empty dishwasher
  • put away clean clothes
  • update baby book
  • check/respond to email
  • open mail
  • finish magazine (yes, there can be fun things on the list)
  • clean bathroom
  • wipe down counters
  • put away toys/equipment
  • vacuum couches
  • make grocery list
  • post on facebook
  • lift weights
  • return phone calls
  • sit down :)
That's just a start! There are many more things that I can and will add to the list after I get a few things done. How about you, what does your list look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment