Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Getting Things Done...5 Minutes at a Time

Do you ever feel like you have so much to do that when you have 5 or 10 minutes of 'spare' time, you have no idea what to start with and you end up doing nothing?! Well, you're not alone. I just read a great list of dozens of things you can do when you find yourself with a few extra minutes in this month's Real Simple magazine - part of their 'Get it Together Handbook.'

While not all of the items will fit your needs, I certainly found plenty of items I could act on when my next 5 free minutes pops up. In fact, I was so inspired that I quickly went through my house with a notebook and made my own personalized list...and guess what, it only took me about 5 minutes! Here's my list - maybe it will inspire you to act during your next free moment...


My 'Five Minute Fillers' List
  • Shred old receipts.
  • File 3 items in To File folder.
  • Tackle 1 item in To Do folder.
  • Put away new holiday gifts and recycle boxes.
  • Wipe off kitchen counters.
  • Review and purge clipped recipes.
  • Make grocery and household items shopping list.
  • Package gift to mail out.
  • Fill out birthday cards and prep to mail.
  • Put boots away and vacuum sand from boot tray.
  • Wipe down bathroom surfaces.
  • Vacuum couches.
  • Put away remaining holiday wrapping supplies.
  • Water plants.
  • Iron shirts.
  • Change pillow cases.
  • Review and purget 3 files.
  • Transport donations to car.
  • Write holiday thank you notes.
  • Clean up email inbox.

My challenge to you (and me): make your own 'five minute filler' list, post it somewhere prominent, and see how many things you can get done over the next week when a spare moment pops up. You will get a great burst of momentum from accomplishing those small, sometimes nagging, chores. Then make it a habit by refreshing your list each week and continuing the momentum - you'll get so much done you won't know what to do with yourself! But let's not get ahead of ourselves...let's take this one 5-minute burst at a time...I'll be right there with you!

Bottom Line: Don't waste your precious free time trying to decide what to do. Set yourself up for success by posting your 'five minute filler' list and get to it next time you've got 5 minutes to spare.

No comments:

Post a Comment