Friday, May 04, 2012

Friday Find: Ikea Hackers

Here at Organizing Boston, we love to re-use what clients already have for organizing purposes. It saves money and resources, but it's also fun to find purposes for items that are being under-utilized or not used at all!

I've been thinking recently about re-purposing some Ikea furniture in my own (or soon-to-be) home. We are about to move into our first real house - yeah! - and I'm looking to re-purpose some Expedit shelving as toy storage in my daughters playroom, but espresso isn't exactly the color I'd like for her bright, cheery room (or at least that's my vision). So I was looking on-line for tips on painting Ikea furniture and of course found some good info over at Apartment Therapy.

But in the process, I was also reminded of a neat site entirely dedicated to re-purposing and customizing Ikea furniture - Ikea Hackers. How cool! A lot of us own Ikea furniture - they make some great products from an organizational standpoint and let's face it, it's hard to beat the price. Personally, we own several Ikea items, including Expedit shelving, Effectiv filing cabinets and a few others. Many of these have been in our possession for several years, surviving moves, re-purposing and general household use and abuse. So if you're re-organizing, re-arranging, or moving, why not check out Ikea Hackers for some ideas to breath new life into your furniture and your space. If I follow through with my first Ikea hack, I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment